Director of Development – Job Summary
News Decoder is seeking a part-time Director of Development to join our dynamic team. The ideal candidate will bring strong relationship-building skills and fundraising experience to the role and spearhead a multi-faceted fundraising strategy. As an integral member of our leadership team, the successful candidate must be passionate about growing our financial resources to support our long-term success and educational mission.
About News Decoder
News Decoder is a global educational news service for young people. We partner with schools around the world to teach media literacy and journalistic skills that broaden students’ knowledge of global issues and make them better global citizens. Our educational services include workshops, global webinars, E-Learning courses and publication of multimedia content by experienced journalists and youth.
News Decoder is an integral partner to schools committed to fulfilling the United Nations Sustainable Development Goal of global citizenship education. Our innovative educational services are designed to teach students how to think critically about global issues, challenge assumptions, separate fact from opinion, consider conflicting viewpoints, identify solutions and communicate clearly and impartially.
Our not-for-profit is registered and headquartered in Paris, France, but we operate a virtual and global platform. We support virtual work arrangements and are seeking applications from candidates with experience fundraising in the North America or European contexts.
The Director of Development is a new position. The successful candidate will contribute to News Decoder’s long-term success by helping our team develop and implement a robust fundraising strategy.
The ideal candidate will have experience securing funding from individual, corporate, foundation and/or institutional donors on behalf of nonprofit organizations. They will have strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills, and be comfortable presenting to and negotiating with senior professionals and donors. They will be personable and confident, and demonstrate entrepreneurial spirit.
The ideal candidate will be based in the United States and/or bring international fundraising experience to the role, but with the right profile, we are open to supporting a candidate based anywhere in the world.
The Director of Development will:
- Help develop and implement a short and long-term fundraising strategy
- Assist with managing and growing a portfolio of mid-sized and major donors
- Research and analyze internal and external data sources to strategically target potential donors and donor leads
- Plan our annual fundraising campaign and help organize fundraising events
- Provide strategic guidance and feedback on our donor communications
The Director of Development will have the following key qualifications and competencies:
Experience and Education:
- 7+ years of successful nonprofit fundraising experience
- A university degree or equivalent education and training
- A track record of securing and managing donations through relationship-building with donors, foundation program officers, corporations, governments and/or institutions
- Experience identifying, cultivating and securing gifts at mid-level giving ($5,000+)
- Experience with databases and data analysis tools and methods, especially as they relate to fundraising and development
- Digital marketing experience a plus
- Experience in education and/or journalism industries a plus
- Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills
- Ability to think strategically and communicate your ideas persuasively
- Excellent English communication skills, both written and verbal
- Comfortable asking for money
- Resourceful, creative, entrepreneurial and reliable
- Polished presentation and pitching skills
- Self-directed and proactive, holding oneself to high standards
By or before November 30, 2020, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Start Date: January 2021
Compensation: Based on qualifications and years of experience
Employment Status: Part-time contract position
Location: The ideal candidate will be based in the United States and/or bring international fundraising experience to the role, but with the right profile, we are open to supporting a candidate based anywhere in the world.
Industry: Non-Profit; Education; Journalism
Job Functions: Fundraising; Donor Relations; Partner Management; Marketing