News Decoder cares about your privacy. We are committed to handling your personal data — information like your name, email address and IP address — with the greatest care.
This policy should help you understand:
- what personal data we collect about you and why;
- how we use your personal data; and
- what your rights are with respect to your personal data and how you can exercise them.
News Decoder’s website is at www.news-decoder.com. On our site, we publish news and multimedia content produced by experienced journalists and young people. Anyone in the world is able to view this content by visiting our site.
News Decoder also enables you, your fellow students and students at our other partner schools to access a host of educational resources by logging into our site. These resources include E-Learning courses, a pitching portal and publication guidelines, webinar preparation materials, archived webinars, and podcast, contest and event information.
II. What personal data do we collect?
Personal data refers to information that can be used to identify an individual, such as a name, photo, email address or biographical details. News Decoder collects personal data that you or your school provide to us, or which is collected through your use of the site.
Information that you or your school provide
A member of your school’s faculty or administration provided us with your name and email address to enable us to grant you site log-in credentials (i.e. a username and password). By logging into the site, you are able to access our exclusive educational services, such as our pitching portal and publication resources, webinar preparation materials, webinar archive and E-Learning courses. Without this information, we would not be able to provide these services or interact with you.
Information collected when you use the site
We collect aggregated data about how students use our site through web analytics services such as Google Analytics and JetPack. This aggregated data is collected automatically by cookies and similar technologies when you visit our site. Aggregated data does not identify individuals. It shows us generic information about site traffic, like the number of times an article is viewed and the general geographic location of site visitors.
If you take one of our E-Learning courses, data is automatically collected about the identity of the course taker and whether the person has completed a course. We are able to see the email addresses of the students who take our courses.
III. Why do we collect your personal data?
We collect and use your personal data to enable you to access the password-protected services on our site and to engage with News Decoder staff and correspondents, strictly for the educational purposes spelled out in the contract we entered with your school. We also use the data you provide to optimise your and other students’ experience with our site and services.
In particular, we collect personal information so that:
- You can access our educational resources: We require your name and email address so that we can grant you access our exclusive educational resources, communicate with you, and create opportunities for you to communicate with other students, experts or media partners in our network.
- We can display contributor bios: If you produce multimedia content that you would like to have published on our site, we will collect and publish basic biographical information about you (such as your name, photo and a short bio) to include at the end of your article.
- We can keep you up to date: We use your email address to keep you informed of upcoming events like webinars or storytelling contests.
- We can improve our site and services: We want to provide you with the best possible site experience and services. We may use your personal data to collect information from you in the form of a survey or questionnaire. This data helps us understand who is using our site and services and identify methods to improve them.
- We can run contests and prize draws: If you enter your multimedia content in a storytelling contest or your name in a prize draw, we will process your information to run the contest (for example, sharing your name with the jury panel) or to administer the prize draw.
- You can apply to join our team: If you apply to intern or work for us via our site, we will process your information in order to facilitate the application process.
IV. When do we collect your personal data?
We only use your personal data where we have a lawful basis for doing so, including where we have:
- Your consent: This is where you have given us explicit permission to process your personal data for a specific purpose. For example, if you submit a story pitch on the Get Published page, you are consenting to us contacting you with feedback on your pitch. You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us as detailed below in section IX.
- A contractual obligation: We have a contractual obligation with your school to offer a variety of educational services throughout the school year. To provide these services, we require your name and email address to grant you access to our educational resources and to communicate with you.
- Legitimate interests: This is where we have a legitimate business interest to process personal information. For example, if we find there is a copyright infringement in an article, News Decoder has a legitimate interest in identifying who is responsible for the infringement because this infringement exposes us to liability as a publisher.
V. Who do we share your personal data with?
We may share your personal data with third parties to effectively run our organization or provide the specific services you have requested. We may disclose information to:We may share your personal data with third parties to effectively run our organization or provide the specific services you have requested.
We may disclose information to:
- Service providers: We use service providers to support our organization and improve our site and services. These service providers include digital content and marketing services and organisations that host our site, such as WordPress and Moosend.
- Correspondents: With the consent and knowledge of faculty at your school, we may share your personal data with one our correspondents so they can share their subject matter expertise with you, edit your multimedia content, lead workshops or participate in a webinar.
- Other partner schools: With the consent and knowledge of faculty at your school, we may provide your personal data to educators or students at our other partner schools to facilitate educational opportunities, including participation in a webinar or collaborative creation of multimedia content.
- Other users: Parts of our site (like our homepage and content archives) can be seen by anyone from anywhere in the world. If you produce content that we publish on our site, the content and your bio will be viewable by anyone. Similarly, if you comment on another article on our site, your comments will be viewable. We would encourage you to use a pseudonym when commenting on an article if you don’t want to be identifiable to other readers.
- Legal processes and successors in title: We may disclose your information to comply with applicable laws, court orders or other valid legal processes, and to enforce or apply our partnership agreement or any of our other rights.
VI. What are your data rights and how can you exercise them?
Under data protection laws, you have rights over the personal data we hold about you.
These rights include:
- The right to object to direct marketing;
- The right to access the personal data that we process about you;
- The right to request the deletion or correction of your personal data.
You can exercise these rights by withdrawing your consent or changing your information in the following ways:
- Online Account: If you have log-in credentials to access News Decoder’s password-protected resources, you can update your account information by logging into your account and visiting “Edit My Profile.”
- Email: You can unsubscribe from email communications from News Decoder by clicking the unsubscribe link in the footer of our communications. Your opt-out applies to the type of communication that you unsubscribe from, and you may continue to receive emails from other services you’ve subscribed to as well as essential communications.
- Cookies: A cookie is a small piece of data sent from a website and stored on your computer by your web browser. Cookies are used to keep track of your browsing activity, to remember your login information or to record pages that were visited. You can control cookie preferences in most browsers, which are initially set up to accept cookies. Most browsers will let you disable all cookies; require approval each time a site attempts to place a cookie; remove cookies manually; or have them deleted automatically after a certain period. Your browser’s support documentation will have step-by-step instructions for how to change cookie preferences. You can find instructions for commonly used browsers here:
You can also exercise your personal data rights by sending an email to News Decoder’s founder Nelson Graves at email@example.com. The email should include the purpose of your email and the actions you would like us to take regarding your personal data. We may ask you to provide personal information to confirm your identity or to prove the accuracy of the change you are seeking.
VII. How long do we keep your personal data?
News Decoder has established rules that dictate how long we retain your personal data. The length of time varies depending on the different purposes for collecting the data and takes account of any legal obligations to retain some of your data.
We set the retention time to permit us to process your requests, fulfill our contractual obligations to our partner schools and communicate with students. We comply with the principle of proportionality, which provides that personal data must not be retained for longer than is necessary to fulfil the purpose for which the data was collected.
However, data may be retained for longer than the lengths of time mentioned above:
- with your consent;
- in the form of archives;
- to respond to any legal or regulatory obligations applicable to us;
- in the form of data reused for the purposes of logs, statistics or research.
VIII. How do we keep your personal data secure?
We have technical and administrative security measures in place to help ensure your information is protected against unauthorised or accidental access, use, alteration or loss.
News Decoder is a global organization, so your personal information may be processed and stored outside the European Economic Area (EEA). We have contractual safeguards in place to protect information that is transferred to third parties.
If a data breach occurs, News Decoder will do its best to mitigate the risks and take adequate corrective actions, including informing the national authority responsible for personal data protection and, if applicable, you and your school.
IX. How can you contact us?
Mail: 18 rue d’Alembert, 75014 Paris, France
X. How can you contact the right legal authority?
If you want report a complaint or if you feel that News Decoder hasn’t addressed your concern effectively, you can contact the French data protection authority via the CNIL website or send a letter to this address:
Commission Nationale de l’Informatique et des Libertés
3 Place de Fontenoy – TSA 80715
75334 PARIS CEDEX 07
XI. Changes to this policy
When we publish changes to this policy, we will revise the “last updated on” date at the bottom of this policy.
Last updated: April 14, 2020