I. About this policy
News Decoder is a global educational news service for young people. Among other services, we regularly publish independent and original multimedia content on our site, www.news-decoder.com (the “site”), which is produced by News Decoder correspondents, students at our partner schools and guest contributors (“editorial content”). All editorial content is produced in accordance with the standards set out in our Editorial Policy.
In addition to our editorial content, News Decoder may, in exchange for payment or other reciprocal benefits, publish advertorial content that is created or financed by third party brands with the goal of promoting a brand or its products or services (“advertorial content”).
This advertorial content policy establishes:
- The types of advertorial content that may appear on our site;
- Our standards for publishing advertorial content;
- How site visitors can identify advertorial content on the site; and
- Categories of prohibited content.
References in this policy to “we”, “us” or “our” refer to News Decoder and its legal entity, Nouvelles-Découvertes, a registered French non-profit.
II. Types of advertorial content that may appear on our site
We may publish two types of advertorial content on the site:
- Articles written, edited or approved by a brand or its agent (“sponsored content”); and
- Images or videos that feature or promote a brand or its message, event, product or service (“banner ads”).
III. Our criteria for publishing advertorial content
We only publish advertorial content where a brand or its agent has provided full and complete disclosure of the identity of the brand(s) that pay for, control or influence the advertorial content.
We retain full editorial control of all content published on our site and have the right to edit and modify advertorial content to meet our publication standards.
Brands and their agents do not have any say over the editorial content that we have published or will publish on the site.
IV. How to identify advertorial content on our site
Visitors to the site can identify sponsored content and the sponsoring brand as follows:
- All sponsored content displayed on our homepage is displayed in a discrete Sponsored Content category.
- Each sponsored content post is denoted by a “Sponsored Content” label at the top of the post and uses a font type and format that is distinct from our editorial content.
- All sponsored content discloses the identity of the brand that paid us by using the label “Paid for by [Brand Name].”
- All sponsored content is tagged and organized under a discrete Sponsored Content category and is not tagged to appear in other categories that display editorial content.
Visitors to the site can identify banner ads as follows:
- All banner ads appear exclusively on the site’s public pages and posts, namely, the homepage and/or within editorial content or sponsored content. In no circumstances do we display banner ads on the educational resource pages exclusively accessible by and targeted to students and faculty at our partner schools.
- All banner ads display the name of the brand that has paid for the banner ad to be published on the site.
- All banner ads use an image/video style and format that is distinct from the images or videos that appear within our editorial content.
V. Prohibited content
Under no circumstances do we publish content that promotes the following goods or services:
- Tobacco products, vaporizers, electronic cigarettes or any other products that simulate smoking
- Drugs and drug-related products, including illegal, prescription, or recreational drugs
- Weapons, ammunition or explosives
- Sex products or services
- Payday loans, paycheck advances and bail bonds
- Lotteries or gambling
If you are interested in publishing advertorial content on our site, please email email@example.com.
If you have any concerns about this policy or advertorial content that you have seen on the site, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
VII. Changes to this policy
This policy may be amended at any time. Any changes we may make to this policy will be posted on this page.
When we publish changes to this policy, we will revise the “last updated on” date at the bottom of this policy.
Last updated on: April 22, 2021